New Japanese Embroidery Frame

Well, I broke down and bought a new Japanese embroidery frame. Like the first one, this frame came from John B. Sinton, my tutor's husband. I love his frames because the threaded dowel and screw mechanism makes it so easy to tighten the weft direction to precisely the degree you want. It makes framing up a really smooth process, so much so that I actually really enjoy it.

I have a thing for unique and beautiful woods, so this time around, I chose a highly figured maple frame (my first one is a beautiful cherry). And as with the first frame, I asked John to finish the warp bars for me — I like them all smooth and glossy (plus, flat silk doesn't stick to them that way). He also added a warm brown dye to help the grain of the wood stand out a bit more once it was varnished. And to my great joy, my lovely new frame arrived earlier this week:


To really give you a sense of the beautiful grain of the wood, here is a close up:


Isn't it lovely? It's such a unique looking frame and just exquisitely made. I'm really, really thrilled with it. I still love my cherry wood frame — in fact, I think it's still my favorite, perhaps because it was my first. But this one is a very close second indeed.

You may be wondering, why do I need another JE frame. Well, it's not so much about need as want. 😂 But having said that, I will actually need this frame for a very specific reason in the immediate future. But that is a subject for another post! Stay tuned!



Comments